Committee Membership 2015 W and 2016 S sessions
Chair: Tom Scholte
Keith Bunnell ex officio
Nancy Campbell ex officio
Stefania Burk ex officio
Lois Nightingale (note taker)
Category One Proposals require the following in this order:
- Course Outline or Syllabus – For new courses only, to be submitted in WORD with clear formatting (no headings, etc).
- Budgetary Impact Form (signed by the Department Head or Director. Do not have the Dean sign the form – that will happen once it is submitted through the Arts Curriculum Committee.)
*Please note that you are required to give consultants at least 10 working days to complete a Curriculum Consultation Request.
The Faculty of Arts Curriculum Committee requires that all documentation be received by the following dates. All Committees, both within Arts and at the Senate level, require material at least 14 days prior to the date of the meeting.
The Faculty of Arts Curriculum Committee meets monthly between September and May. Materials must be submitted on the last Wednesday of the Month to ensure it will be reviewed at the upcoming Arts Curriculum Meeting (normally held on the 2nd Thursday of the Month).
For 2015 Winter (Terms 1 and 2)
The 2015 Winter Session official on-line calendar was published at the end of June. Changes must have been approved in April Senate meeting to be included in the official calendar. Senate will not consider any further changes to the 2015 Winter session (and the SISC).
For 2016 Summer
- August 31, 2015: Last Day to submit Category ONE proposals to the Arts Curriculum Committee to ensure they will be captured in the 2016 Summer session.
- September 28, 2015: Last Day to submit Category TWO proposals to the Arts Curriculum Committee ensure they will be inputted into the February Calendar update.
The 2016 Summer Session official on-line calendar will be published at the end of February. Changes must have been approved at the January Senate meeting to be included in the official calendar. Senate will not consider any further changes to the 2016 Summer session that are not approved by the January Senate meeting.
For 2016 Winter
- November 18, 2015 – preferred deadline to receive Category 1 proposals to ensure changes to systems . However, proposals may be received up to February 24, 2016 and still have a chance of getting into the official calendar for 2016 Winter. However, leaving your category 1 changes so late may mean additional work to find classrooms and scheduling.
- March 23, 2016: Last Day to submit Category TWO proposals to ensure they will be inputted into the June Calendar update. We highly recommend Category 2 changes which require changes to systems (SISC, Scientia), arrive much earlier to ensure Enrolment Services has sufficient time to update the SISC to ensure classroom room bookings are not affected.
The 2016 Winter official on-line calendar will be published at the of June. Changes must have been approved by the April Senate meeting to be included in the official calendar. Senate will not consider any further changes to the 2016 Winter session (and the SISC) that are not approved by the April Senate Meeting.
PLEASE NOTE: Curriculum changes go through a lengthy approval process. The dates above are approximate. Do not leave your proposals to the last minute as they may be delayed.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much can be included in one proposal?
- Consider the “URL” and “Rationale” as the dividing point. Any changes that will require editing to one specific URL with one general “rationale” may all be included in one proposal. If you must update more than one “URL” please create separate proposals for each “URL” which needs editing; or, if you have several changes to one URL but two specific over-arching “rationales” for the changes, then two proposals would be appropriate.
I have read the Curriculum Proposals and Guidelines (found here) but I am still not sure if my change should be a category 1 or category 2 change?
- When you are not sure if a proposal should be a 1 or a 2, consider that Category 1 are changes which may impact alternate areas on campus or will have budgetary impacts. You would seek consultations from these alternate areas to ensure they are aware the change is coming, to ensure they have time to update their advising, edit their calendar sections, and keep them in the “loop”. For example, if you make changes to a course that is being required or recommended by another Department or Faculty, these areas should be invited to “consult” on the change. This would give them time to make any necessary changes to their own information. If you are not sure please contact Lois Nightingale.
Why are the suggested deadlines so early?
- The process for changes is very lengthy. Let’s count backwards for the 2016 Winter session for the introduction of a new course (a category 1 proposal). A new course will require a classroom. Classroom Scheduling opens the room booking first to the Departments to secure their rooms from last year and then, in early Spring 2016, they open up room booking to all. If you wish your new course to be scheduled for 2016 Winter as efficiently as possible, the course should be approved by Senate no later than February 2016.
- March 31, 2016 – Changes approved by Senate in February are updated into the SISC allowing Departments to schedule and book rooms.
- February 17, 2016 – Senate Meets and approves proposals.
- February 8, 2016 – Senate Sub-committee for Curriculum meets and approves those proposals to be moved forward to Senate.
- January 24, 2016 – Submission of material for Senate Sub-Committee
- January 8, 2016 – Faculty of Arts Meeting
- December 9, 2015 – Submission of material for Faculty of Arts meeting (relatively early due to Holiday break)
- December 2, 2015 – Arts Curriculum Meeting
- November 18, 2015 – Submission of Proposals for ACC meeting