Assistant or Associate Professor, Chinese History
The Department of History, University of British Columbia (Vancouver), invites applications for an appointment at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor in the history of China between the tenth and nineteenth centuries, with a preference for scholars focusing on China’s historical relationships with Inner Asia. We particularly welcome applications from scholars working in the Yuan or Qing periods.
We seek candidates who demonstrate a commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion of underrepresented groups in academia; to engaging the needs of diverse student populations; and to diversifying what and how we know about the past. Expected start date is 1 July 2021.
Applicants should have (relative to career stage and field) demonstrated or potential ability to:
- publish research of exceptional quality and originality that complements or diversifies research strengths in the Department of History;
- teach, mentor, and address the learning needs of a diverse undergraduate and graduate student population;
- productively engage diverse scholarly and/or non-scholarly communities at UBC and beyond;
- work effectively with sources in both modern and classical Chinese.
Applicants should apply only through the History Department’s Internal Resources website at https://hist.air.arts.ubc.ca/ch-37760/ Applicants should upload (in the following order, collated into a single pdf file):
- a cover letter or letter of application;
- a curriculum vitae;
- a 300-500 word statement identifying the applicant’s experience relevant to working with a diverse student body, and contributions, or potential contributions, to advancing a culture of equity and inclusion within the university and beyond;
- up to three article-length samples of scholarship (including published articles, unpublished papers, or book/dissertation chapters).
Applicants should also provide names and contact information for three scholars willing to provide a letter of reference; we will request letters directly for candidates who advance in the search process.
Review of applications will begin on 1 September 2020 and will continue until the position has been filled. Applicants with questions about the position are welcome to contact the search chair, Dr. Timothy Brook at Tim.Brook@ubc.ca. This position is subject to final budgetary approval. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Métis, Inuit, or Indigenous person. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority.