February 23, 2021
The UBC School of Public Policy and Global Affairs (SPPGA) welcomes applications to fill the position of Director of the Institute of Asian Research to begin July 1, 2021. The Institute of Asian Research (IAR) is UBC’s principal point of focus on Asia policy and current affairs and a hub for engaging government, civil society, policy partners in Asia, and local Asian-Canadian communities.
The Directors of the Institutes located within the School of Public Policy and Global Affairs (the Policy School) report to the Director of the School of Public Policy and Global Affairs (SPPGA Director), and are responsible for specific aspects of the development and operation of their individual Institutes. The IAR Director’s term of appointment is expected to be for three years starting July 1, 2021, with possibility of renewal, upon successful review, for an additional one to three years. This position does not attract administrative leave. The IAR Director will receive a $10,000 annual stipend (honorarium), plus one 3-credit teaching release, provided that their annual teaching commitment does not fall below 6 credits. The IAR Director will benefit from staff support and budget to assist with their initiatives.
This position is open to all UBC full-time, tenure-track faculty
- Alignment with the general research, teaching and public engagement work of the Institute of Asian Research (see mandate of IAR) and SPPGA.
- Commitment to building an transdisciplinary community of scholars – building relationships both internal to UBC and beyond to our external partners and stakeholders—given these coordination tasks excellent inter-personal skills are essential
- Experience and competence with at least 2 of the macro-regions of Asia is desirable (China, Japan, Korea, South East Asia, South-Asia)
- Open to tenured Associate Professor and Full Professors at UBC with a particular focus on faculty in or associated with SPPGA.
The Directors of the Institutes located within the School of Public Policy and Global Affairs (the Policy School) report to the Director of the School of Public Policy and Global Affairs (SPPGA), and are responsible for specific aspects of the development and operation of their individual Institutes.
IAR Research Leadership
- Research and policy leadership of the Institute, including collaboratively setting strategic directions with IAR members
- Advocacy and profile for the Institute and its work, both within and external to UBC in concert with the Director of SPPGA
- Promote extensive and high quality research and policy engagement activities of IAR associates as well as bringing together colleagues from different disciplines and units across UBC
- Support for SPPGA, inter-School and inter-Faculty research initiatives
- Liaison with granting agencies and industry and other research sponsors as necessary
- Research Centres, programs and initiatives in IAR report to the Director
National and international officials, universities representatives, think-tanks and other organizations concerned with contemporary Asia
- Be the point person for visitors to the IAR as part of its role at UBC – the Asia “policy portal”
- Continue the strong relationships with the Institute’s external communities, including the professional community, other universities and organizations, government, business, consulates and alumni – in coordination with the Director and the “events” team of SPPGA.
- Convene events, workshops and conferences of a scholarly nature each year as part of community engagement and alumni outreach
Graduate Students and Learning
- Support faculty members to create a high-quality learning environment for research and professional graduate students associated with the Institute of Asian Research, especially those in SPPGA’s Masters of Public Policy and Global Affairs program
Management and Administration
- Participation in the SPPGA Executive and in the School Partner’s Council
- Collaborate with the SPPGA Director and the Dean’s Office on fundraising activities
- Responsible for managing the IAR endowment and Research Centre funds in consultation with the SPPGA Director
INSTITUTE OF ASIAN RESEARCH
The Institute of Asian Research (IAR) is UBC’s principal point of focus on Asia policy and current affairs. A campus-wide hub and a cross-Pacific partner, the IAR is dedicated to fostering closer understanding and human networks between Asia and North America in a way that will have a defining impact on the future global challenges of our common world. The Institute seeks to build knowledge that supports deep understanding and effective action in addressing a wide range of domestic, regional and global problems centered on Asia. IAR advances this mission through five major activities: research; training; network-building across the university and with scholarly communities elsewhere; community interaction; and policy engagement. The Institute works closely with the UBC International Office and a number of academic departments in supporting collaborations with Asian partners. http://www.iar.ubc.ca/AboutUs/IARStrategicStatement.aspx
Deadline for applications: 5pm, March 22, 2021
Applicants are asked to consult with their unit Head/Director to request a note of endorsement. Please send a C.V., 2-page expression of interest, and Head’s endorsement to:
Allison Macfarlane, Director
UBC School of Public Policy and Global Affairs