Scholarship(s) totaling $17,500 have been endowed by friends and family in honour of Associate Professor Emerita Katherine Brearley (BA’35, MA’39, Doctorat Universite de Paris) for undergraduate students entering their third or fourth year of study in the Faculty of Arts (Vancouver Campus) for the 2018 Winter session. In selecting recipients, consideration is given to both scholarly excellence and the demonstrated ability to work with and lead others in student and community activities at the university, local, national, and/or international level.
- Candidates must be entering their third or fourth year of study in the Faculty of Arts at the UBC Vancouver Campus for the 2019-2020 Winter session
- Candidates must meet UBC Vancouver Senate Policy on eligibility to receive awards for full time students. Qualified students must have achieved a minimum Grade Point Average of 80% in the previous winter session; and, in their current winter session, students must have officially declared a major/honours/combined specialization. Full-time status means a student within the Faculty of Arts is registered in a minimum of 24 credits in the 2019-2020 Winter session, or sufficient to graduate, with 24 percentage graded courses in the 2018-2019 Winter session with no failures or missing grades. However, students registered with the Centre for Accessibility may be eligible on an approved reduced course load.
- Resume: which includes all activities relating to community involvement with dates (maximum two pages)
- Personal Statement: focusing your community/national/international involvement and ways in which you have demonstrated leadership, positive influence and strength of purpose (maximum two pages)
- 2 reference letters: letters must be submitted to us separately (outside of the application form you will complete). When deciding on your references please consider two references who can comment on your leadership and community involvement (Faculty, Employers, Managers, or recent High School Teachers). Reference letters should be submitted electronically and will only be accepted from professional e-mail accounts, personal-mail accounts such as Yahoo, Gmail etc will not be accepted. Reference letters should be e-mailed to email@example.com.
Candidates are selected by an Arts Adjudication Committee. In selecting recipients, consideration is given to:
- Community Involvement: Recipients of this scholarship will provide evidence of extensive involvement in activities at School, in the Community and/or at the National/International level. Leadership and a passion for giving back or providing aid should be highlighted.
- Strong academic performance: Applicants will have met full time eligibility criteria as noted above and achieved a minimum of 80% in the previous winter session.
- We encourage you to have your Personal Statement and Resume ready to be uploaded at the time you begin your application. You will also have the option to save and continue should you need to.
- Reference letters should be submitted electronically and will only be accepted from professional e-mail accounts, personal-mail accounts such as Yahoo, Gmail etc will not be accepted. Reference letters should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: October 15th, 2019
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.