The William and Nona Heaslip Foundation offers a $45,000 scholarship ($15,000 per year over three years) to two eligible undergraduate students entering Year 2. Candidates must be in receipt of Government Student Loans, show outstanding community involvement, and leadership tempered with a strong first year academic performance (minimum 75% average). The award is renewable to UBC Vancouver Arts students for an additional two years or until a first undergraduate degree is obtained (whichever is the shorter period). The awards are made on the recommendation of a selection committee within the Faculty of Arts. (Total possible value $45,000 over 3 years.)
- Candidates must be entering their second year of study in the Faculty of Arts at the UBC Vancouver Campus for the 2019-2020 Winter session
- Demonstrate financial need by receipt of a Government Student Loan in the 2018W session or 2019W session. This information must be available from your UBC ESP by the award deadline
- Candidates must be registered in a minimum of 24 percentage-graded credits in the previous academic year (2018-2019) and a minimum of 24 credits in the current academic year (2019-2020), with no failures or missing grades. Students with University approved reduced course loads, are also eligible.
- Personal Statement: focusing on your community/national/international involvement and ways in which you have demonstrated leadership, positive influence and strength of purpose (maximum two pages)
- Resume: which includes all activities relating to community involvement with dates (maximum two pages)
- 2 reference letters: letters must be submitted to us separately (outside of the application form you will complete). When deciding on your references please consider two references who can comment on your leadership and community involvement (Faculty, Employers, Managers, or recent High School Teachers). Reference letters should be submitted electronically and will only be accepted from professional e-mail accounts, personal-mail accounts such as Yahoo, Gmail etc will not be accepted. Reference letters should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates are selected by an Arts Adjudication Committee. In selecting recipients, consideration is given to:
- Community involvement: Recipients of this scholarship will provide evidence of extensive involvement in activities at School, in the Community and/or at the National/International level. Leadership and a passion for giving back should be highlighted.
- Strong academic performance: Applicants will have met full time eligibility criteria of 24 credits in 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 and achieved a minimum of 75% in the previous winter session.
- We encourage you to have your Personal Statement and Resume ready to be uploaded at the time you begin your application. You will also have the option to save and continue should you need to.
- Reference letters should be submitted electronically and will only be accepted from professional e-mail accounts, personal-mail accounts such as Yahoo, Gmail etc will not be accepted. Reference letters should be e-mailed to email@example.com.
Deadline: October 15th, 2019
Note: Recipients of “renewable” Scholarships should be aware that, if selected for the Heaslip Scholarship, you may be required to decline other “renewable” scholarships you may have received. This may be in your best interest if your previous award was less than $15,ooo per year for three years.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.