During the 2020/21 Winter Session (Sept 2020 – April 2021), the UBC Faculty of Arts will primarily offer larger classes online with selected smaller classes conducted in-person, adhering to physical distancing and other public health requirements.
The method of instruction offered during the Winter Session will not be the same for everyone. The format will depend on several factors, including your program and the classes you have chosen.
More details about the format of instruction for each program in Winter Term 2 will be provided at a later date, and will continue to prioritize student health and safety.
Online Programs in Winter Term 1
The following undergraduate programs will be offered fully online:
- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Creative Writing
- Bachelor of International Economics (BIE)
- Bachelor of Media Studies (BMS)
Students in these programs will not need to be on campus, in Vancouver or even in Canada for the 2020 Winter Session.
Online and In-Person Programs in Winter Term 1
The following programs that rely on location-specific facilities will have some in-person, on-campus learning components (adhering to physical distancing and health requirements):
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Acting
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Film Production
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Theatre Design and Production
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Visual Arts
- Bachelor of Music (BMus)
- Bachelor of Social Work (BSW)
Students planning to take courses in these programs will need to consider in-person attendance components and can reach out to individual programs for more information.
Students will also need to complete a mandatory COVID-19 Student Safety Training course before returning to campus. The course takes 10-15 minutes to complete and is delivered on Canvas.
For up-to-date information on UBC’s health and safety measures, please visit https://covid19.ubc.ca/.
Detailed Departmental Course Delivery in Winter Term 1
The following departments and programs offer more in-depth information about how their courses in Winter Term 1 will be delivered online:
- Asian Canadian and Asian Migration Studies Program
- Creative Writing Program
- Computer Science
- Cognitive Systems Program
- Department of Anthropology
- Department of Asian Studies
- Department of Classical, Near Eastern and Religious Studies
- Department of Central, Eastern and Northern European Studies
- Department of English Language and Literatures
- Department of French, Hispanic and Italian Studies
- Department of Geography
- Department of Linguistics
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Statistics
- Institute for Gender, Race, Sexuality, and Social Justice
If you are taking a double major, minor, or dual degree with a program delivered outside the Faculty of Arts (e.g. Science, Land and Food Systems, Applied Science etc.), contact that faculty to see if that program will be delivered online.
If you are a UBC student in Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. Visit this dedicated page for up-to-date information related to funding, assessments, dissertations, and housing.
- Find support for your online learning, study strategies, and tech support on the learningcommons.ubc.ca website.
- For questions related to housing and your ability to live on campus, visit UBC Vancouver Housing.
- See UBC’s response to COVID-19, and its approach toward student health and safety.
- Read COVID-19 FAQs for international students.