The Minor in Commerce will expose you to various business disciplines, including accounting, finance, marketing, organizational behaviour, and business strategy.
The minor normally takes two years to complete and may not be possible to complete in one year. Enrolment is limited. Upon admission to, and successful completion of this Minor program, the notation “Minor in Commerce” will be placed on your transcript.
The Commerce minor is not available to Bachelor of International Economics (BIE) students, nor students majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies (IDST). However, IDST students can seek approval from Arts Advising to add a series of four COMR courses as part of their academic planning.
The Minor in Commerce application is available each year between March 1st and May 31st.
NOTE: Due to COVID-19, the Faculty of Arts offered exceptional grading options for students who had courses that ended in April 2020. In these exceptional circumstances, the CrDF grading option can be applied to the commerce minor admission criteria and required courses.
Prerequisites for admission to the Faculty of Arts Minor in Commerce must be completed by the end of the second term of the winter session in which the application is completed and must include:
- The Writing component of the Writing and Research requirement
- Economics 101 and 102 or Economics 310 and 311
- One of Math 100, 102, 104, 110, 120, 180 or 184
Prerequisites taken the following summer will not be considered because the marks will not be available at the time applications are reviewed.
- COMR 329 (3) Principles of Organizational Behaviour
- COMR 457 (3) Fundamentals of Financial Accounting
- COMR 465 (3) Marketing Management
- COMR 473 (3) Business Finance
- COMR 493 (3) Strategic Management in Business
- One of the following: Commerce 458 (3) Fundamentals of Managerial Accounting or Commerce 398 (3) Introduction to Business Processes and Operations
- The Minor in Commerce application is available each year between March 1st and May 31st.
- Applicants will be notified via email in early June of admission status; so be sure your email address is up-to-date.
- It is possible to apply in your second, third, or fourth year, and you may apply more than once if your application is unsuccessful. Applying in your fourth year could extend your degree as it may not be possible to complete the minor requirements in one year due to course scheduling.
Admission into the Commerce Minor Program
- A maximum of 200 students are accepted into this program every year.
- You must be eligible for second-year standing or higher at the time of application (i.e. have completed a minimum of 27 credits including the Writing component of the Writing and Research Requirement) by the end of the current session.
- You must have a minimum cumulative average of 60%.
- Your cumulative average will be calculated based on all work previously attempted towards your BA.
- After meeting the above minimum criteria, acceptance into the program is competitive and usually requires a GPA between 65% and 70%
- At least 50% of the upper-level courses toward the Minor in Commerce must be completed at UBC while registered in the BA program.
Transcripts for Commerce Minor Application
Official Transcripts from previous (non-UBC) post-secondary institutions are required if:
- You are a current UBC student who has completed pre-requisite coursework as a visiting student at another institution (on a letter of permission, or through Go Global)
- Grades for your pre-requisite coursework have not yet been received by UBC Admissions
*Do not send a transcript to Arts Academic Advising if grade information for the pre-requisite coursework was included in your application to UBC as a transfer student.
Maximum number of transfer credit
If you have more than 12 transfer credits that are equivalent to the commerce minor requirements you may be ineligible for the minor because you will be unable to obtain a minimum of 9 credits toward the minor (as required by the 50% rule, which states that students must complete at least 50% of their program while registered as a BA student at UBC).
Please note that although Arts students may use these 200 level COMR transfer credits towards the COMR Minor in Arts they will not count towards the overall upper level requirement for the BA. Students may not take lower level COMR credits after being admitted to the BA program or the COMR Minor.
- COMR 292 = 329
- COMR 293 = 457
- COMR 294 = 458
- COMR 296 = 465
- COMR 298 = 473
- COMR 370 = 473
- COMR 204 = 398
- COMR 491 = 493
Questions regarding the minor in Commerce should be directed to Arts Academic Advising.