Online Advising Requests

Carefully follow the instructions for each service below and Arts Advising will process your request. All forms require your CWL login.

Request a credit limit increase

Read the credit increase requirements carefully, as credit increases will only be processed if you meet them.

Initiate academic concession

If you experience unanticipated events or circumstances that interfere with your ability to accomplish your academic coursework, review the academic concession page and fill out an academic concession form so an advisor can review your case.

Request a year-level promotion

Year-end promotions are automatically updated on the SSC during the month of May each year. However, if you meet specific credit requirements, you can request a year-level promotion earlier by filling out the form.

Add or remove a program (major/minor)

You’re able to add or remove programs (majors/minors) yourself through the SSC during registration periods, so Arts Advising only accepts online program requests outside of registration periods. Not all programs can be added or removed without department approval, so refer to the list of program options before completing the form.

Request a Letter of Permission

In certain circumstances, you can be granted permission to study outside of UBC with a Letter of Permission (LOP). You must be able to demonstrate that the course at another institution is an exceptional and unique opportunity to enhance your major or minor. Before you register at another institution, your LOP must be approved by Arts Academic Advising in order for transfer credits to count towards your degree.

Request a graduation check

If you’re finishing third year or planning to graduate soon and your course schedule is finalized, make sure you’re on track to graduate by completing the graduation check form.

Apply to graduate

Review the Student Services Applying to Graduate page, log in to the SSC, look for the “Graduation” heading, and select “Apply for Graduation.”

Access your program completion letter

Once your graduation status is approved, you can download a program completion letter through the SSC under “Grades.” Students on financial hold are not able to access these letters and should contact Enrolment Services.

Request a program pending letter

If you haven’t completed your degree program yet, but need a letter that proves you are on-track to completion, fill out the program pending letter request form.

On this page
    Back to toparrow_upward