Every year, the Dean of Arts hosts a special reception to recognize and celebrate soon-to-be Arts graduates who have dedicated themselves as leaders and have made an impact during their time at UBC.
Students, faculty, alumni, or staff can nominate a graduating student to attend the reception in recognition of their leadership contribution. The Dean’s Reception takes place at the end of Term 2 in March.
Graduating student leaders who have made exceptional impacts may additionally be nominated for an Outstanding Leader Award, for which there are three categories:
- Outstanding Leader in the Faculty of Arts
- Outstanding Leader in the UBC Community
- Outstanding Leader in the UBC Community and Beyond
- The depth and impact of the nominee’s contributions to the community
- Demonstrated leadership and integrity in the scope of their involvement
- Demonstrated vision, innovation, or creativity in their work
- Providing inspiration and motivation to others as a mentor and/or role model
- Good academic standing (although grades are not the most important factor, they are considered during the selection process)
The nomination process for 2023 is now closed. Please check back in January 2024 for next year’s nomination process and reception details.
For the nominator:
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Paul Lee, Arts Student Engagement Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the nominee:
Once nominated for an Outstanding Leadership award, an email will be sent to you notifying you of your nomination and asking for a personal statement and resume. These documents, along with the content of the nomination, will help inform the Awards Adjudication Committee’s decision on a recipient. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Paul Lee, Arts Student Engagement Officer, at email@example.com.
2020: Katja Sluga
2019: Camile Oliveira
2018: Javier Barreto-Gomez
2017: Astghik Hairapetian
2016: Audrey Tong & Viet Vu
2015: Nicole Aleong
2014: Paula Zelaya Cervantes & Erica Baker
2013: Jenny Chen & Selvan Ramis
2012: Amanda Cheong
2011: Caroline Durran & Claudia Pedrero
2010: Nicco Bautista
2009: Rory Babin
2019: Maryam Dada & Aydan Con
2018: Katherine Moore
2017: Morrell Andrews and Jory Smallenberg
2016: Emily Chan and Maria Dawson
2015: James Timperley
2014: Lina Zdruli
2013: Salima Hirji
2012: Tarini Fernando
2011: Elysa Hogg
2010: Diana K. Moreiras & Michelle Cheong
2009: Robyn Plasterer